Please, Someone Turn Off the Electricity

posted by Jeffrey on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 at 8:07 AM


*I've moved, and my posts have come with me! Check out my new blog at www.jeffrey-davis.net/blog/*

Electricity is a strange and mysterious thing. If you touch something that results in a small electric shock, your hand will be knocked right off it, leaving simply a tingling sensation. However, touch something with a higher electric charge and you may receive quite a painful (or fatal) shock that results in the inability to let go of the object that is delivering the shock. It's quite interesting really, the larger amount of electricity actually makes the muscles contract, making it impossible to release.

As God continues to reveal erroneous ideas and beliefs, programmed into me by the institution of the church, of who He is and how He relates to us, I find something similar to electricity. Some of the less shocking "doctrines", "theologies", etc, are easy to let go of and nearly knock my hand off of themselves altogether. However, the underlying and over-arching ideas and doctrines that, like electricity, are the most painful and hurtful, seem to foster the inability to let go. Ironically, the longer a person holds on to the item delivering the shock (i.e. those big, painful, doctrines), the greater their chance of permanent injury or death.

Fortunately, anyone and everyone can be resurrected from this death. All it takes is the realization of the grace and unconditional love of Christ.

Along those same lines, I'm looking forward to a book coming out soon. It's called The Diety Formerly Known as God (click here to read an excerpt). Hmm, do you think it's a coincidence that so many people in all different parts of the world are waking up to the same things regarding the love of God?

Tags: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what doctrines are you referring to? which, to you, fit in either category? just wondering :)

August 30, 2006 3:15 PM

 
Blogger Jeffrey said...

ah, I would love to say specifically which doctrines and ideas I'm referring to, but I've learned my lesson in treading such thin ice on this medium. Let's talk about it this weekend, k?

August 30, 2006 4:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home