Point for Point

posted by Jeffrey on Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 1:37 PM


*I've moved, and my posts have come with me! Check out my new blog at www.jeffrey-davis.net/blog/*

This week I have decided to end a chapter in the story of my life. I no longer see value in sitting across a table from someone, sipping on a cup of joe, going point for point against each other regarding spiritual, theological, or "religious" things. My reason, no good can come of it.

In such a conversation where a person intellectually proves that they are right, what happens? Normally, the person being "proven" wrong gets pissed, and the relationship is critically injured and eventually dies. The "victor" in this scenario has the short-lived pleasure of gloating over their intellectual supremacy, but at what expense? The loss of a friend. What kind of world is it that we live in where being right is of more value than relationships, more valuable than love?

Of course there are many different scenarios that could play out in a point for point conversation, but they all have similar results. Whether the conversants are best friends or strangers, it matters not. People still suffer, love is suppressed, and no one really "wins". The gamble is great and the chips are raked into the abyss of human pride.

Tags: , , ,


1 Comments:

Blogger Sam Davidson said...

I feel you. Been there, done that.

August 13, 2006 5:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home