Shadowlands

posted by Jeffrey on Monday, August 29, 2005 at 9:14 AM


*I've moved, and my posts have come with me! Check out my new blog at www.jeffrey-davis.net/blog/*

This past Saturday my wife and I watched "Shadowlands", a movie based on the life of C.S. Lewis (pictured at left). Lewis coined the term "shadowlands" on the final page of the final installment (The Last Battle) of his lone children's book series called the Chronicles of Narnia--however, I will not tell you by whom it is said, who it is said too, or what context it is in--you're going to have to read/watch for yourself. By the way, the first installment of this series (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe) is coming out on screen, in hopefully non-cheesy form, this December.

The movie is based around a famous quote and teaching of Lewis's that goes something like this: "God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world." It is interesting that the movie focuses on Lewis's thoughts on pain, because his sole treatise on the topic was The Problem of Pain. He devoted the rest of his time to other topics.

Lewis happens to be my wife's favorite author and is rapidly becoming mine as well. So I leave you for now with another quote from him that resonates with my very essence: "If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home