News 2's Neil Orne Interested in Postmodernism

posted by Jeffrey on Friday, August 19, 2005 at 2:50 PM


*I've moved, and my posts have come with me! Check out my new blog at www.jeffrey-davis.net/blog/*

Neil and Heather Orne of News 2 (WKRN) are my and my wife's favorite morning anchors! Every morning as we get ready for work we invite them and the other crazy cats from the News 2 Morning Show into our home. There have been SEVERAL occasions in which a comment or allusion has been made by one of them which has led my wife and me to wonder if they are followers of Jesus.

Anyway, there's a link on Neil's blog to something called "The PoMo Blog", which is run by a gent by the name of Terry Heaton. Interestingly enough, the header and the footer of Terry's blog contain quotes from Leonard Sweet. For those of us who aren't quite sure who Leonard is, he is described in all circles as a "theologian, author, and futurist". He has written Out of the Question...Into the Mystery, The Church in Emerging Culture: 5 Perspectives, Postmodern Pilgrims, and about about 20 other books dealing with life, God, faith, and those three things in postmodern ("emerging") culture. He is also the founder of PreachingPlus.com, which is an "epic preaching resource".

So, I don't know what all of this is worth, but it's a cool thought that maybe, just maybe, the morning crew at News2 are followers of Jesus who are living that out in a missional way. Even if they're not, it's totally cool that at least one of the local news crews realize that the world is changing--so why not change with it. (see Luke 5:36-39)

3 Comments:

Blogger TaB said...

interesting huh? actually one of my fav hosts (in the entire world) is Ian Punnet http://www.fm107.fm/ I use to get him on xfm radio till my subscription died, then all of a sudden he shows up on one of my other fun late night programs – the Art Bell show (sunday nights), divinity really has a sense of humour, I love it!

I’ll snoop them links :)

August 19, 2005 8:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would actually be my wife's and my favorite and it led my wife and me to wonder. Just browsing through and wanted to help!

August 20, 2005 11:46 PM

 
Blogger gavin richardson said...

sweet is a um pastor, theologian, and author as your have highlighted. he's a good friend to brian mclaren. brian mentions him often. i think sweet would be more involved with emergent & postmodern movements, but he was saying all that stuff years ago and, i bet, got tired of it. he runs a cafe church in virginia i believe now.

August 23, 2005 1:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home