The Mystery of Pride

posted by Jeffrey on Thursday, August 25, 2005 at 3:17 PM


*I've moved, and my posts have come with me! Check out my new blog at www.jeffrey-davis.net/blog/*

Pride. Such an unbecoming garment for all who wrap themselves in it. If this is so, why then do we humans so frequently and easily adorn ourselves with it?

I was reading in the Isaiah (a book in the Bible) yesterday, and God showed me something quite interesting about this ugly yet frequented coat we call pride. In a rebuke of Jerusalem and the southern kingdom of Judah, the prophet says, "...So man will be brought low and mankind humbled--do not raise them up. Go into the rocks, hide in the ground from the dread of the Lord and the splendor of his majesty..."

Let me pause to give a huge hat tip to the good ole' NIV Study Bible scholars and commentators. Why? Because there is a study note on the bottom of the page that says this: "the Hebrew for this word [speaking of the word 'majesty'] is translated 'pride' when used of people. Pride is our attempt to be our own gods." Whoa, that will make me ponder my motives when I reach for the cloak of pride...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home