Newsweek Cover: Spirituality in America

posted by Jeffrey on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 at 3:35 PM


*I've moved, and my posts have come with me! Check out my new blog at www.jeffrey-davis.net/blog/*

An interesting cover for the popular news magazine don't you think? The cover article, "In Search of the Spiritual", is subtitled, "Move over, politics. Americans are looking for personal ecstatic experiences of God, and, according to our poll, they don't much care what the neighbors are doing."

The article contains thoughts like, "Whatever is going on here, it's not an explosion of people going to church" and "If you experience God directly, your faith is not going to hinge on whether natural selection could have produced the flagellum of a bacterium. If you feel God within you, then the important question is settled; the rest is details". It then goes on to describe in a rather "hit-and-run" style pretty much all of the "religions" I've ever heard of--and basically how Americans have a bountiful smorgasbord of which to brew their own "religious" concotion.

Here's the link to the article, what do you think?

1 Comments:

Blogger TaB said...

Kind of cheese and onion style journalism in my opinion, ive never been much a fan of newsweek to start with, but interesting they gave it the feature story. I’ll see how they do, add it to my toread list, tks for sharing it!

August 24, 2005 5:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home