The Universe--Yeah, Its Big

posted by Jeffrey on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 at 1:16 PM


*I've moved, and my posts have come with me! Check out my new blog at www.jeffrey-davis.net/blog/*

CNN Space and Science had a headline today that read, "Study: Universe bigger, older than expected." Here's an exerpt:

Scientists now estimate the universe to be about 13.7 billion years old (a figure that has seemed firm since 2003, based on measurements of radiation leftover from the Big Bang) and about 156 billion light-years wide.

The new finding implies that the universe is instead about 15.8 billion years old and about 180 billion light-years wide.
Whoa, that size and age is beyond even the limits of my imagination, much less my comprehension. I have two unrelated thoughts on the topic. The first is that it seems arrogant to think that we're the only life forms in such a huge expanse of space. The second is that I'm dumbfounded by the imagination and creativity that God exercised in creating such a cosmos. I wonder why He did.


Tags: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home