Progressively Ceasing

posted by Jeffrey on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 at 8:58 AM


*I've moved, and my posts have come with me! Check out my new blog at www.jeffrey-davis.net/blog/*

Sabbath. It is a semi-foreign concept to us these days. Exodus 16:23 is the first time God communicates His gift of rest formally to His people. The Hebrew word here in Exodus 16:23 is "shabbath" {pronounced: shab-bawth'} and it is the proper noun for the actual Sabbath day (or week or year depending on the context). This word is derived from the Hebrew root word "shabath" {pronounced: shaw-bath'} which literally means "to cease, desist, rest".

Jesus told the Pharisees in Mark 2:27, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath." In addition, Hebrews 4 provides some interesting reading of how the Sabbath tradition fits into the New Covenant through Christ Jesus. Nevertheless, though it is no longer required of us (like it was the ancient Hebrews) to observe this tradition--we may physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually be done well to do so.

One of my wife and I's best friends, Lacey, sent me a neat little sabbath exercise from YMWomen.com that freakin' rocks. It'd be cool to experiment with this guided journey through a Sabbath week. Here's the link to the exercise.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rick said...

Hey Jeffrey,

I've come to view the sabbath rest as 'a way of living' rather than particular period of time or activity.

We rest from our search for unconditional acceptance & love, purpose & meaning because we've found it 'in Him'.

Could the Sabbath rest & the Kingdom of God be one and the same?

Rick

July 12, 2005 1:11 PM

 
Blogger Jeffrey said...

Again, I love the different perspective you often present. I've never thought about it like that. I can, however, see that concept present in Heb 4.

Whereas I see that Sabbath rest and the Kingdom could be one in the same, I also think our physical bodies, as well as our spirits, could use some literal sabbath-rest from time to time as well. Obviously not by the requirements of the Law, but by the freedom of the New Covenant.

That's be a good discussion sometime over coffee man--Hebrews 4/OC Sabbath/NC Sabbath rest.

July 12, 2005 2:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home