The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off

posted by Jeffrey on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 at 8:25 AM


*I've moved, and my posts have come with me! Check out my new blog at www.jeffrey-davis.net/blog/*

That is the title of a documentary my wife and I watched on TLC last night. This was the story of a 36 year old UK gentleman named Johnny Kennedy. He had a rare genetic disease called epidermolysis bullosa (EB). He describe the condition as, "I look at it like your skin is 'velcroed' to your body, and mine is just missing the hooks".

This man decided to have his life and death (and preparation for it) documented and shared with the world. As we watched his story unfold, our sadness deepened. This man, despite his constant and extreme pain, was more at peace than anyone that I have personally known who was standing on the threshold of death. But where did this peace come from? He did seem to be a very "spiritual" man, but his faith was not in Jesus Christ. As I drove to work this morning I began to wonder, "What would make someone like this put their faith and trust in Jesus?" He was already peaceful, already likeable, already taking social action in the effort to find a cure (not for himself, but for future people) for this disease, already "spiritual", and already (what he thought to be) prepared for death. So I ask again, what would have made this gentleman enter into life with Jesus?

3 Comments:

Blogger Hilary said...

Jeffrey, I miss you and your wife! I'll be home in less than a month! Can't wait to spend some QUALITY TIME. Love yall!

July 01, 2005 6:00 PM

 
Blogger Rick said...

the squirrel makes me laugh everytime I see it...its sooo funny!

Tell us a story about the squirrel...just how and why is it doing what it's doing?

July 02, 2005 5:02 PM

 
Blogger Jeffrey said...

ha ha..the squirrel. I love flying squirrels. I was once leading a junior high guys group at a DNOW in Boca Raton, FL when I first came in contact w/ this little flying furry friend.

I walked out onto the balcony one morning (of the place we stayed before the DNOW started) only to find myself less than a foot from this creature. He took one look at me, spread his "wings" and soared to a near by tree--didn't do a whole lot for my self esteem might I add.

Anyway, ever since this happening, I've thought flying squirrels rocked. Why? Because I have a totally messed up sense of humor and think they too are HILARIOUS. What was God thinking when He made that one? lol.

P.S.: I did scale the tree in attempt to catch the rodent, but was unsuccessful. I was at a slight disadvantage--he could fly.

July 05, 2005 5:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home