If the World Truly is a Stage...

posted by Jeffrey on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 at 9:10 AM


*I've moved, and my posts have come with me! Check out my new blog at www.jeffrey-davis.net/blog/*

...then marriage is the Phantom of the Opera. Oh it looks simple enough from the outside, but when we really get into the plot it is full of mystery, surprise, allure, confusion, and yes...even music (especially if you're Dr. Kevin Leman). All of these facets together (coupled with the infinite more that would be impossible to identify and list) make marriage a wonderful life of fun and excitement. Of course it has its rough times and it takes work, but that's part of the fun. Anyway, I was thinking about the whole "husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the Church" (in Ephesians 5) thing earlier this morning (and for the past several months) and I began to wonder what does that really mean? I've been taught in my "church upbringing" that it means that the husband is supposed to be the "spiritual leader", but I'm not so sure that's an appropriate interpretation. I mean in comparison to the grander scope of marriage and its place in the story of redemptive history, to say that the husband is just supposed to be the "spiritual leader" kind of seems like a lesser calling, well it does to me anyway. Not to mention its inspiration of pedestal-like expectations of the husband and the indirect subordination of the wife's spiritual wisdom.

Well those are at least my preliminary thoughts, but what do yall think? I'd like some feedback and comments from married AND unmarried folks about what it might mean for "the husband to be the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the Church".

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like the new site format. good colors.
on the ephesians 5 thing- you know i am sort of in the same boat (meaning that i still don't know what i think) but i wanted to agree that as an unmarried person, to view my husband as having the obligation to be my spiritual leader really makes me feel marginalized. i mean, i don't have a spiritual leader now (i don't think pastors or parents count for this more specified role seeming to belong to husbands) so why does that change when i am married? just a thought.

July 24, 2005 1:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home