When All Our Heroes Crash and Burn

posted by Jeffrey on Friday, November 03, 2006 at 8:58 AM


*I've moved, and my posts have come with me! Check out my new blog at www.jeffrey-davis.net/blog/*

This post started out as a work of reality-based fiction, but for some reason, didn't feel right. Perhaps it is because it is easier to surrender to my cynical nature if I detach from the truth of the situation. Nevertheless, here we go.

The news about Ted Haggard's struggles just came out this morning and I'm already sick of hearing about it. One news report that I heard as I was getting dressed this morning was, "...the evangelical community's response to this news can be summed up in one word, shock." (Let me pause here to clarify that the cynicism I'm fighting against in this post is not directed toward Ted, but toward the "evangelical community".) Ok, that pause greatly aided in slowing the anger I sensed welling up inside of me (albeit what I might call, righteous indignation).

I do so hope that the "evangelical community" does not react in the way the so mercilessly tend to do in similar scenarios. Hopefully Mr. Haggard will not be laughed at, discredited, slandered, or kicked to the curb as if he were a filthy leper that must spend the rest of his life wandering here and there, calling out "unclean! unclean!". Rather, I hope that he is loved, embraced, and nurtured, as the same Christ that lives in him lives in us all...many just may not be aware of it.

I find it incredibly sad that Christendom continually heaves a few "big boys" or "heroes" up onto the pedestal of faith, only to disown and condemn them when they come crashing down. However, many of the heroes themselves are not entirely void of blame. They, as I once did, have desperately sought their entire lives to be in such a position of power influence. Unfortunately, as many learn the hard way, great is the cost of "Christian super-stardom"--not only to the "super-stars" but to the people who put their faith in them, rather than God.

Dear Ted, I may not agree with your ideology of "church", among a great many other things, but I love you. You have struggles, just like me. Now, though without your initiation, those struggles are out in the light of the public eye. I know how unfortunate that must seem and how scary it must be, but at the same time, I'm sure an incredible burden feels as it has been lifted off of you. You do not now hold secrets from those you "lead" or love. What a relief, huh? May you discover the Love and the voice of Christ within and around you as you stand at this incredible crossroad. The roads that cross? That's for the Spirit to show you.

Love and Grace,

Jeffrey

Tags: , , , , , , ,


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for that jeffrey.i have lots of thoughts on this but i am so frustrated/confused/sad for this guy that i am not sure what to say.

November 03, 2006 10:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen.

November 03, 2006 11:49 AM

 
Blogger gavin richardson said...

it is sad all the way around

November 03, 2006 3:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.findingrhythm.com/blog/?p=493

check that out. gag me.

go here for the original, i'd love to hear your thoughts:

http://www.theresurgence.com/md_blog_2006-11-03_evangelical_leader_quits

November 05, 2006 1:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home