Sorry Kid, No Admitance to DCA...

posted by Jeffrey on Monday, February 06, 2006 at 1:02 PM


*I've moved, and my posts have come with me! Check out my new blog at www.jeffrey-davis.net/blog/*

Wow, what an incredibly sad decision from my alma mater!! As noted by Brittney at Nashville is Talking:

"There is an interesting story in the City Paper about Donelson Christian Academy refusing to admit a candidate for enrollment based on the fact that the child's parents are openly gay.

[Begin NCP content] Donelson Christian Academy, a local private Christian school, has denied a child admission on the grounds that the child is from a homosexual family.

Last year, John Barnby and his partner turned in an application to DCA for their son to begin kindergarten next fall. According to Barnby, they were warmly received at the open house last November and came away with a "“good feeling"” about the school. A few weeks ago, he received a call from Danny Kellum, the headmaster of DCA.

The headmaster was curious about the child having two male parents.

"“He stumbled over his words and directly asked if we were gay parents. I responded that we are a gay family and very interested in our son receiving a quality education at a faith-based school,"” Barnby said.

According to Barnby, Kellum told him that his home life is an abomination against God and that if Barnby'’s son was to attend DCA, he would be taught that he comes from a sinful family and subject to the ultimate punishment from God. Kellum went on to say that he had family members who used to be gay but have repented their sinful ways and given their life to God, Barnby said.

He then informed Barnby that the child'’s application would not be accepted. [End NCP content]

Obviously this private school has the right to discriminate against this applicant, but I have to say I think this child will be much better off at another school. The parents say they'd like a private, faith-based education for their child, and I really hope they'll be able to find just that. But if the child was going to be told that his parents will be going to hell on a regular basis, I hope his parents are happy he was rejected."

My first comment over at NiT was as follows:

"Is this child's parents living a sinful life as NCP quoted Dr. Kellum as saying? Sure. But so are the parents who are controlled, consumed, and mastered by their love for food resulting in morbid obesity.

By the same standard, the school might ought to consider that children of overweight parents not be admitted as well. It irritates me greatly how we Christians pick out the "bad" sins to harp on redundantly, when all sin is sin.

Furthermore, the message of the cross is not condemnation, but that you can be set free from the bondage of sin through the grace of Christ. I think this decission is counter-productive to the goal that the school truly does strive towards--that people may come to know the love of Christ.

*Note: I tried GREATLY to cage the anger that has welled up inside me at the reading of this post as not to let it pour forth freely in this comment...sorry if I failed."
Wow. I really have nothing else to say at the moment...

8 Comments:

Blogger Kat Coble said...

The thing is that some Christians believe that Homosexuality isn't a sin, while others do.

I read the story as saying that DCA believes that it is a sin and that continued living as a homosexual is an unrepentant stance.

We have only Mr. Barnby's side of the story, which portrays Kellum in a negative light. I believe all that Kellum did was hold consistently to his belief, which was that homosexual activity is a sin, they teach that at the school and they believe you can be redeemed from the consequences of the sin.

Obviously Mr. Barnby and his partner do not believe themselves to be continuing in sin. I would assume they do not want Daniel taught that they are continuing in sin. Because we have only Mr. Barnby's account of the conversation, we do not know for sure that DCA denied Daniel the place outright.

Mr. Barnby and his partner, Bill Richeson attend St. Ann's Episcopal church--which doesn't hold continued homosexual activity to be sinful. I find myself wondering why they chose to pursue DCA instead of one of the schools in the area more in line with their beliefs.

February 06, 2006 1:24 PM

 
Blogger Jeffrey said...

true that we do only have Mr. Barnby's side of the story, and it was my experience while at DCA that Dr. Kellum is a gentle, yet adventerous, man of God. I have the utmost respect for him. He even taught me how to repel! lol.

What I am attempting to communicate is that, to me, it is irrelevant whether or not a continued life as a homosexual is an unrepentant stance. It is true? yes, but we all live in sin that are in unrepentant states--some even unknowingly. This boys "parents" are mastered by their lusts for the same sex. All of us, Christians and not, are mastered by the lusts of our flesh as well...they just may not be sin that has been labeled as "bad" or "dirty".

A major difference in Christians, however, is that it is the power of sin coming against us that we give into, not sin that lives inside us.

I still feel that this was (and still is if it can be reconciled) an incredible opportunity to demonstrate the love of Christ to a wretched, nasty, sinner--which is the exact state that Jesus found you and I in.

as always, katherine, you handle yourself in this cyber world w/ great poise. I am sorry to see how mud slingers respond on controversial posts like they already have on NiT today.

February 06, 2006 1:55 PM

 
Blogger Kat Coble said...

Thanks. I try but it doesn't always work...;=p

This happens to be a very sensitive issue for me. I have a gay brother who is not welcome in my straight brother's home when the gay brother is with his partner.

I personally don't believe that it is our place as Christians to "pick the splinters" from other Christians' eyes. It's ridiculous to say "you sin HERE and you sin HERE" because that is precisely the job of the Holy Spirit, and expressly forbidden by Jesus.

Where it gets tricky is in the church and para-church (Christian schools, publishing companies, etc.) institutions. Does the institution have a right to deny admission/membership/a job to a person based on their sexual orientation?

In drawing a somewhat awkward analogy, I'd have to say "yes." Just like in my own family. My brother has the right as an individual to be gay. My other brother has the right as an individual to say "then you can't come here with Chad."

Who's right and who's wrong in that scenario is really none of my business. But since God makes such a big deal about all of us having free will to make our own choice, I support that. I say let both "brothers" exercise their free will, and let God--for lack of a better term--sort it out.

February 06, 2006 2:10 PM

 
Blogger Jeffrey said...

I see your point.

However, the fact that God gives us free will does not mean whatever choice we make is the right or the best one. True, since before the foundation of the world, God knew what decisions we would make in every situation, hence His plan and His Kingdom are always moving forward.

That does not mean, however, that it matters not what decisions we make.

I personally feel that since Christ freely accepted me as a filthy beggar, though He of all people has the right to choose not to, the same should be the measure of how I accept people. Do I always live up to that measure. Of course not...but I sure aspire to. And what's more is that every choice is vital to our formation into that of Christ's likeness.

February 06, 2006 2:21 PM

 
Blogger Rick said...

My letter to Danny Kellum....

Hey Danny,

I don't know you that well. I write as a brother in Christ and hope you read the following in an encouraging light.

Christ was known for associating with the sinful of society, heck, who is without sin? Christ associated with folks who, even in the world's eyes, were immoral (adulterers, sexually immoral, tax collectors, etc). What an opportunity we have as believers to welcome those blinded by sin into a place of learning dominated by those seeing clearly in this particular area (i.e. homosexuality). We accept many folks into DCA with repetitive sins of obesity, idolatry, greed and pride, why single out the sin of homosexuality? The consequences of homosexuality aren't any greater than that of greed, idolatry or pride...many times 'those' sins culminate in the consequence of murder.

Sin is sin. Christ forgave all (not just some) sin. There are no exceptions. If there had been, Christ died for nothing. Our purpose here on earth is to be a branch God's life flows through producing fruit the world cannot duplicate...like 'unconditional' acceptance and love.

I wish you well on your journey with Christ and hope someone along the way doesn't have an aversion toward a repetitive sin in your life and exclude you and your family from being part of what could be a means toward enlightenment and freedom.

Grace and peace to you, for without grace there would be no peace.

Rick Harris

Haven't receive a reply yet...don't expect one really.

February 07, 2006 8:06 AM

 
Blogger Kat Coble said...

I personally feel that since Christ freely accepted me as a filthy beggar, though He of all people has the right to choose not to, the same should be the measure of how I accept people.

Jeffrey, we agree on this. We really do. At the same time, though, I currently struggle with how much we are to tell others about their behaviour. With both of my brothers I've had extensive talks about it. I think our familial bond allows for that. But I don't think I'm the person who needs to judge ANY of the people in this scenario--Mr. Bandy, Mr. Richeson OR Mr. Kellum.

February 07, 2006 9:26 AM

 
Blogger Jeffrey said...

I agree. I feel that there is no blanket answer for how we are to determine how much we talk with others about their behavior (in any scenario). If a brother in Christ knows that I'm living in sin, for example, those who are close enough to me to approach me know from my lips that they have that freedom.

Furthermore, how, when, and if we approach someone about their behavior depends not only on the individual and what the Spirit is speaking to us regarding them, but also GREATLY on whether or not the person(s) are a follower of Jesus. Those who are not shall not and cannot be held to the standards of one who does claim to know Jesus...nor should their sin, in my opinion, be used agaist them in an attmept to "win them to Christ". Christ came that we would have life and have it to the full. Does that involve cleansing from sin? yes, but that is merely one part (though fundamental, yes) of the life journey towards Christ.

The "turn or burn" line of thinking does not, to me, accurately portray the love of Christ. An authentic encounter with Christ will naturally lead to conquering of the flesh and a life devoted to discovering the mysteries of godliness...we don't need to push on the front end what is healthier to happen naturally.

*Another note: I spoke with Dr. Kellum on the phone this morning. As promised, I will not disclose the details of our conversation, but we enjoyed a reminiscent conversation and gracefully agreed to disagree, still realizing that despite our disagreement here, we are working together in the common goal for the furthering of the Kingdom of God.

February 07, 2006 10:28 AM

 
Blogger gavin richardson said...

apologies as i am quickly scanning blogs to catch up (i've been out of pocket all week) i can't help but comment without completely getting into your conversation.. with that said.

it's a blessing to be kept out of dca, i've known many of the kids there and it just not a healthy place to be. heck, i'm marrying a dca homecoming queen who left the school.

thanks for bringing this up, i might ponder this a bit as the school has many issues with image & priorities associated with status. so it's not surprising to see that they are keeping someone out.

oh, i liked how "MJ" from real world sported the dca shirts while getting piss drunk and has been welcomed back. that's a witness

February 10, 2006 5:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home