Marvelous Light

posted by Jeffrey on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 at 7:06 AM


*I've moved, and my posts have come with me! Check out my new blog at www.jeffrey-davis.net/blog/*

Here's a song by Charlie Hall that I was getting in to this morning on the way to work. The people in the vehicles beside around me probably thought I was a weirdo. Oh well, I guess they were right:

Because its so hard to get the feel of a song just by the lyrics, you can listen to sample in .wma format:


Verse 1
I once was fatherless,
a stranger with no hope;
Your kindness wakened me,
Awakened me, from my sleep

Verse 2
Your love it beckons deeply,
a call to come and die.
By grace now I will come
And take this life, take your life.

Pre-chorus
Sin has lost it's power,
death has lost it's sting.
From the grave you've risen
VICTORIOUSLY!

Chorus
Into marvelous light I'm running,
Out of darkness, out of shame.
By the cross you are the truth,
You are the life, you are the way

Verse 3
My dead heart now is beating,
My deepest stains now clean.
Your breath fills up my lungs.
Now I'm free. now I'm free!

Bridge
Lift my hands and spin around,
See the light that i have found.
Oh the marvelous light
Marvelous light

Lift my hands and spin
See the light within...

Has anyone ever noticed that the "worship" songs we sing don't necessarily seem to line up with how we live our so-called "Christian" lives? This is a song about freedom, the absence of shame and guilt, the doing-away-with of what separates us from Christ, the marvelous light and life we find in Jesus, and much more. So how does that reflect our Sunday to Sunday Christianity?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of my ultimate favorite worship songs. It is a constant reminder to me that we were once lost sinners who had no hope and no purpose, but Christ saved us. I think that is a huge reason to rejoice and worship God. I agree with you that the songs we sing don't always affect the way we act on a daily basis. Sometimes we go through life on auto pilot and don't pay attention to anything including the words of the songs that we sing. If we did take a moment to listen I'm sure we would feel truly blessed and grateful. Thankyou for this article it touched me.

June 30, 2007 2:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got home from a mission trip in Tampa Fl. We sang this song all week in Worship and I love it. To me it's finding peace and freedom in Christ. It's a symbol of a new beginning!

July 01, 2007 11:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm only 17, and we have just finished a mission week for the kids on our estate, and i loved it!! The week was truly amazing!!
I love this song too, we sang it all week, i want it to put on my ipod now, but i don't have it- you know where i can get hold of it?
xx

October 30, 2007 11:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home