The Uncontrollable Stillness

posted by Jeffrey on Thursday, June 02, 2005 at 2:31 PM


*I've moved, and my posts have come with me! Check out my new blog at www.jeffrey-davis.net/blog/*

Do you ever sit back and think, "Wow, what are we doing???" I've been doing that lately. I struggle with the thoughts that we as a faith community aren't "doing" enough. But I also think about the differences between being and doing and I wonder if sometimes God could actually accomplish more for His Kingdom and His glory if we would just "be"--be still, be silent, be patient, be listening, be real, be open, be loving, be ready, be _____.

Now I'd like to think that I'm not caught up in this stream of thought only to subconsciously justify what could, in fact, be inadvertent complacency, but who knows. In this moment, right here, right now, as I think of Jesus and His embodied ministry on this planet, I really do think that His "being" was the motivation of His "doing." So what does that mean for a new community of faith in Mt. Juliet, TN? I don't know, but I know that as a faith community, I'd rather be at Jesus' feet--waiting on words of encouragement, instruction, or correction--rather than running around doing so much that we miss the the point all together.

But I don't know...any thoughts?

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

Interesting point. Many times we get so wrapped up in all of the stuff that we're doing that we forget who we are. We forget how to "be."

I agree, the beauty of Jesus' ministry was that everything he did came out of the overflow of his identity. He truly was a person of purpose (and I don't mean that in the "here are 7 steps to being a good Christian" kind of way). Jesus was a person of focus, and he was attentive to maintaining that focus.

The interesting thing is that Jesus also was attentive to his own needs. Even with the best of intentions, all of the running and "doing" can be way too overwhelming. Jesus sets an example by being conscious of when he needed time to be away from the crowds in prayer. Too often we focus on all Jesus did and fail to see that he also took time apart.

So, how do we maintain a balance between "being" and "doing?" I suppose the first step would be to look at our actions and how we spend our time. This is a huge indicator of where we are with regards to "being." Then, as we begin to wrestle more with who we are, I think we submit that identity to Christ and ask for guidence on how to best exhibit that identity.

Perhaps a good focus scripture is I Peter 4:10-11. It says: "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen."

Whatever we "do" let's continue to remember the reason we are able to "be."

June 02, 2005 4:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home