The Form of the Lord

posted by Jeffrey on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 11:50 AM


*I've moved, and my posts have come with me! Check out my new blog at www.jeffrey-davis.net/blog/*

"Tell me about the day you 'got saved'," "have you ever been 'born again'," "has there ever been a time when you invited Jesus into your heart?", "do you have a relationship with Jesus?"...all valid inquiries into the state of the human soul, and all are theologically correct...more or less.

Let's focus on the latter shall we. This question of, "do you have a relationship with Jesus?" is typically the way we tend to ask if someone is a Christian these days, but do we really comprehend the reality of this question? I don't think I do. What does the reality of a relationship with Jesus look like? How do I describe our conversations? Do we even have conversation? How do I relate and commune with Jesus in such a word (relationship) that sparks such tangible imagery??

What I want and desire is to relate to Jesus like Moses did, not like David, Elijah, Haggai, or any other prophet.
Numbers 12:6-8 says:


"He (God) said, 'Listen to my words:
When a prophet is among you,
I reveal myself to him in visions,
I speak to him in dreams.
But this is not true of my servant Moses;
he is faithful in all my house.
With him I speak face to face,
clearly and not in riddles;
he sees the form of the Lord...'"


This is how a friend speak to a friend!! Clearly, face to face, openly, and with enjoyment! Oh how God pursues this friendship with us. See here in Song of Solomon 2:14, how God (the Lover) declares to His Beloved (the people of Israel & later, the people who are the church) that His ultimate pleasure is to live in community and relationship with us!!! He even alludes to His intimacy with Moses as an example of His desire for our affection. What if this verse in Song of Solomon exposes the very secret thoughts of God when Moses asked to see His glory in Exodus 33:12-23? What if God, as He covered Moses in the cleft of the rock and passed by in all of his glory (which in the context of Song of Solomon 2:14 could represent vunerability), actually longed to see the lovely face of His child, of His beloved, of His people, just as much & more than Moses wanted to see the face and glory of God?? WOW...I've never thought about it that way until just this very second.

I sit here, stuck in cubicle hell, weeping at the reality that my Jesus longs to be vunerable and open with me exponentially more than I even long for a face to face relationship with Him!! Oh God bring us to a place where religion perishes and the reality of who You are consumes us. Oh Jesus "break down my castles" so that I may see your form, that I may hear you clearly, and that we may speak as a friend speaks to a friend...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home