The ADVENTure of Christmas (10 of 12)

posted by Jeffrey on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 at 9:59 AM


*I've moved, and my posts have come with me! Check out my new blog at www.jeffrey-davis.net/blog/*

First let me start by saying forgive me if these last 3 posts are relatively short. I realize now that I am NOT cut out for a twelve part series (what was I thinking???). Nevertheless, year after year families gather round the dinner table to share a meal and a fraction of life with each other. But why?

Christmas is the time of year we celebrate the birth of our friend and Savior Jesus--and He was a man notorious for inviting Himself over for dinner. One of His last acts as a human was to break bread with those closest to Him. Today we remember this act and its symbolism by breaking bread and taking part of the cup in communion with each other. Well, true to form, the first celebration of Jesus' birth was in fact a feast! It was called the feast of the Nativity and it originated in Rome around the 4th century.

The Bible is saturated with stories of banquets and feasts (many of which God Himself orchestrated) that the people of God took part in as a means of worship and celebration. Revelation, the last book in the Bible, tells of the feast to come--the Great Wedding Feast of the Lamb. It is the feast that those who have responded to Christ's pursuit here on earth will take part in with Him as Jesus (the husband) is finally united with His Church (the bride).

As you sit down around your table this Christmas season, I pray that you remember that it is Jesus who has invited Himself to your table, and as it says in Revelation 3:20, all you have to do is open the door. Peace be with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home